Thursday, September 3, 2009
Join a BorderLinks Delegation to Chicago this Fall
We are excited to announce that registration is open for a unique immersion experience in Chicago. For three days this fall we will learn about the realities of the immigration debate from those who live them daily. The tentative agenda includes:
- Lodging at San Adalberto United Methodist Church, a congregation providing sanctuary to immigrants under deportation orders as an act of civil disobedience. Flor Crisostomo, currently in sanctuary there, will host us;
- Participation in a weekly prayer vigil with deportees headed to the airport for immediate deportation;
- A visit with day laborers and a nonprofit which supports justice for immigrant workers;
- A meeting with representatives from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE);
- Worship/Reflection opportunities, cultural events, and suggestions for how to take action for justice in the immigration system.
The delegation is sponsored by BorderLinks, an organization on the US/Mexico border which has been providing immersion experiences for over a decade. This delegation will inaugurate the "Beyond the Border" series: experiences with immigrants around the USA. Leadership of the delegation will be shared between BorderLinks staff and local partners in Chicago.
The November delegation is open to individuals or small groups, but space is limited. If your group of 13+ people (high school age and up) would like to book the entire delegation, please contact the BorderLinks office as soon as possible.
Dates: Thursday, November 12 through Sunday, November 15, 2009. The trip begins and ends in the late afternoon.
For more information, please contact the BorderLinks office in Tucson, AZ at 520-628-8263 and ask for the Education Department.
- ► 2010 (15)
- In solidarity: Faith group visits Decorah to learn...
- Musings from Rev. Michelle Prentice-Leslie
- Algonquin UCC travels to Postville and Decorah, Io...
- Join a BorderLinks Delegation to Chicago this Fall...
- NEWSLETTER OF THE INSTITUTE FOR INTERCULTURAL STUD...
- Chiapas Global Justice Trip - June 14-24, 2010 ...
- ▼ September (6)